( 7-hour CE credit for year 2019 ) Price $77. Self-study
Each year, income tax return preparation must take into account inflation-related changes to various limits and new tax laws. This course will look at those changes and new laws. The 2020 Annual Tax Season Update course is designed to provide valuable information to persons preparing individual 1040 income tax returns reflecting clients’ 2019 income. The course a) examines the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 and changes in various limits that reflect inflation, b) provides a general tax review, and c) discusses important rules governing tax return preparer ethics, practices and procedures.
Upon completion of this course, a tax return preparer should be able to:
- Identify the principal individual income tax changes brought about by the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017;
- Apply the inflation-adjusted and other limits to the proper preparation of taxpayers’ income tax returns;
- Recognize the federal income tax filing statuses and the criteria for their use;
- Identify the types of income that must be recognized;
- Apply the tax rules to the various credits and adjustments to income that are available to taxpayers;
- Recognize the penalties that may be imposed on a preparer for failing to meet ethical and practice standards in preparing tax returns; and
- Identify the duties and restrictions imposed on tax preparers under Circular 230.