(3 -hour CE Credit) Self-study.
$33. 50% OFF Limited time only, Now $16.5
The Section 199A Pass-Through Deduction
The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 (TCJA), signed into law during the closing days of 2017, affects the tax planning and income tax liability for many taxpayers. Among those for whom the TCJA will have a more significant effect are business owners of pass-through trades or businesses who may be eligible for the TCJA’s pass-through deduction. The Section 199A Pass-Through Deduction course examines this deduction.
It is conceptually divided into three sections: First, calculation of the pass-through deduction for business owners whose taxable income does not exceed a threshold amount set by statute; second, calculation of the pass-through deduction for business owners whose taxable income is greater than the threshold; and finally, calculation of the pass-through deduction for business owners whose taxable income is greater than the threshold and whose businesses are considered specified service trades or businesses (SSTBs). The final chapter examines each of the business categories that are considered specified service trades or businesses and identifies those businesses that might appear to be placed in those categories but which would not be deemed SSTBs.
Upon completion of this course, the reader should be able to:
- Apply the rules to compute the §199A deduction for pass-through business owners whose taxable income is:
In excess of the applicable threshold but not in excess of the sum of the
threshold and phase-in range, and
In excess of the sum of the applicable threshold and phase-in range;
- Determine W-2 wages and the unadjusted basis of qualified property immediately after its acquisition (UBIA);
- Define qualified business income (QBI), qualified REIT dividends and qualified publicly traded partnership (PTP) income and the special rules applicable to them;
- Recognize the aggregation rules applicable to the §199A deduction; and
- Identify the trades or businesses considered specified service trades or businesses (SSTBs) that may be ineligible for the pass-through deduction.